I have a fascination with tunes that clock in at under 2 minutes, but I don’t necessarily mean music that isÂ ludicrously abrupt. Â I am particularly interested in expeditiousÂ tunes that have run their course and whose natural conclusion occurs before 2 minutes have been amassed. Â Basically, this is music that shines brightly, but briefly. Â Hence Brief Candles, a title suggested by Tilt Araiza. Â Such short tunes are not particularly rare, although they are not as abundant as they were in the 1950s and 1960s. Â I just find it really interesting that pop music can be so concise. Â 2 minutes is not really all that much time at all.
Since the start of 2013 I have endeavoured to include one Brief Candle in every show (Eclectic Mainline, 8pm on a Wednesday here on BCB). Â Sometimes this tune will be chosen by me, and sometimes it will be one nominated by you the listener, or you the reader. Â If you want to suggest a tune, pop a comment on this blog, or Tweet me at @albfreeman using the hashtag #briefcandles.
2013 seemed like a good time to start this Brief Candles feature, becauseÂ Patrick Thornton, whoseÂ Selection Box show has now moved to a Wednesday at 9pm, straight after me, has a slot in his show calledÂ Thanking Your Kind Indulgence, in which he plays a tune over 7 minutes in length.
I will add each of the Brief Candles that make it into my show to the list below as and when they are aired. All tunes have been chosen by yours truly unless otherwise stated.
1. The La’s – ‘Feelin” (LP – The La’s / Go! Discs)
2. They Might Be Giants – ‘Spine’ (LP – The Spine / Cooking Vinyl) (nominated by Tilt Araiza)
3. The Beach Boys – ‘This Whole World’ (LP – Sunflower / Capitol)
4. PJ Harvey – ‘The Sky Lit Up’ (LP – Is This Desire? / Island)
5. Half Man Half Biscuit – ‘Irk The Purists’ (LP -Â Trouble Over Bridgewater / Probe Plus)
6.Â Smashing Pumpkins – ‘Sweet Sweet’ (LP -Â Siamese Dream / Virgin) (nominated by David Craig)
7. Wire – ‘Outdoor Miner’ (LP – Chairs Missing) (this week’s Brief Candle, nominated by Tilt Araiza)
8. Duane Eddy – ‘Some Kinda Earthquake’ (2xCD – Rockin’ Guitar Man 1955-1960) (Smith & Co) (nominated by Phil Cope)
Nick Drake – ‘Harvest Breed’ (LP – Pink Moon) (Island) (nominated by David Craig)