The Head Honchos at BCB entrusted us with the task of seeing in the New Year, and somehow we managed not to break anything (although Betty Bird did inadvertently knock the needle from Emma Bob 3’s Nadine Shah record when playing with her Hello Kitty Christmas gifts). We played a lot of good music between 11pm and 1pm and you can pretend it’s midnight all over again by listening to part one and part two via BCB’s nifty podcast thingy. (A parental advisory warning – there are a few sweary bits post midnight). And we did the typical end of year round up thingy by chucking in a few 2013 favourites as well as tips for 2014.
A HUGE thank you to everyone who sent in requests and suggestions!
This is what we played:
1. Prince – 1999
2. David Bowie – Boys Keep Swinging
3. Future of the Left – Johnny Borrell Afterlife
4. Cowtown – Ghost Wave
5. Foals – Impaler
6. Courtney Barnett – Lance Jnr
7. Nadine Shah – Dreary Town
8. Daft Punk – Get Lucky
9. Jeffery Lewis and the Rain – WWPRD
10. Tera Melos – Weird Circles
11. Marnie Stern – Year of the Glad
12. Stereolab – French Disko
13. Beastie Boys – Sabotage
14. Electric 6 – Gay Bar
15. Shirley Bassey – Spinning Wheel
16. Queen – Don’t Stop Me Now
17. McClusky – Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues
18. Fuck Buttons – Year of the Dog
19. Olivia Newton John & ELO – Xanadu
20. Hot Chip – Ready for the Floor
21. Notsensibles – I’m in Love With Margaret Thatcher
22. Los Nortes Americanos – Something
23. Suuns – 2020
24. Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five – White Lines
25. The Knife – Full of Fire
Thank you LOADS if you’ve tuned into Buffet in 2013. We’re back on Sunday 26th January at 7pm. Big hugs to you all and have an ace 2014!
1. Theme from PAINT ALONG WITH NANCY
2. BEASTIE BOYS – (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)
3. LAETITIA SADIER – Find Me The Pulse Of The Universe
4. HUGH MASEKELA – Amo Sakesa-Baranta
5. LIARS – WIXIW
6. CHOIR OF YOUNG BELIEVERS – Hollow Talk
7. SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE – Waswasa
8. SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN story – The Man From the Future (part 1)
9. HOT CHIP – Night and Day
10. DONNA SUMMER – MacArthur Park
11. BEASTIE BOYS – Futterman’s Rule
12. R DEAN TAYLOR – There’s A Ghost In My House
13. BEE GEES – Stayin’ Alive
The era of the half past five show has ended, but a new one is about to begin; namely that of the 6.30 show.
Next Week (3rd of March) we are launching with an exciting interview with Beach House (which we are sharing with Albert Freeman’s Eclectic Mainline). And the week after we have one all to ourselves with Chris Keating from Yeasayer.
But before all that, in the last show at our current time we had a typical selection of new tunes from the likes of Strange Boys and Hot Chip.
Singing the News was about The President of America (Barack Obama) meeting an exiled Tibetan spiritual leader (the Dalai Lama).
Recorded two sessions this week and I’m totally chuffed with them both. The first is with The Peppermint Lounge who’re gonna be the session guests on Wed 9th Dec – think Hot Chip, Beta Band and drinking cocktails somewhere tropical. The second was with Ben Peel – Bradford lad doing acoustic solo stuff. Just done his first single and we’ll be playing it on the show. And to top it all off I had Heads We Dance in for a chat and to sort out which of their tunes we’re playing on 16th Dec (one will defo be their latest single Take My Picture). All excellent stuff – creating very happy days!
Oooh and on Wed 9th Dec, I’ll be bringing you an interview with DJ esSDee & Alphabetics – top hip hop.
Here’s the playlist from Wednesday 2nd Dec. Get in touch if you’ve got something you think I should be playing!