If you tuned in, we thank you. If you’re here to find out how to catch up, click on this bit. We played quite a lot of new stuff, including a new one from Field Music, which had me going “This is totally Prince!” So I Tweeted them and they said ‘yes’, we loves Parade (it’s also one of my fave LPs).
And here’s a list of what we played…
1. The Mike Sammes Singers – First Lady (jingle)
2. Savages – Answer
3. John Grant – Snug Slacks
4. Tender Prey – Please Pain Principle
5. Low – No Comprende
6. Loyle Carner – Ain’t Nothing Changed
7. Craig Finn – Sarah, Calling From a Hotel
8. Skinny Girl Diet – Silver Spoons
9. Einsturzende Neubauten – Sag Mir Wo Die Blumen Sind
10. Field Music – The Noisy Days Are Over
11. John Grant and the BBC Philharmonic – Queen of Denmark
12. Jane Weaver – Time Will Steal
13. No Means No – Now
14. Vieux Farka Toure & Julia Easterline – Little Things
15. Cardiacs – Nurses Whispering Verses
This month on Buffet we were joined by Lyndon Marquis (AKA Boris) to chat about the Record Club. They meet in the Kirkgate Centre, Shipley on the last Saturday of every month to play full length LPs, giving us at Buffet an excuse to dig out some old vinyl. Listen to the show and check out what we played:
1. 50 Foot Wave – Long Painting
2. John Grant – Ernest Borgnine
3. Galitza – Stargazers Know This Stuff
4. Neko Case – Local Girl
5. Burning Codes – She’s The Only One For Me
6. Marnie Stern – Nothing Is Easy
7. Lungfish – Descender
8. Chelsea Wolfe – Winter
9. Count Basie – I Wanna Be Your Man
10. tUnE-yArDs – Gangsta
11. Nisennenmondai – Soundtrack 4 For Nobetsumakunashi
12. Afghan Whigs – What Jail Is Like
13. Buffalo Tom – Witches
We’re back on March 7th with an International Women’s Day special – see you then!
John Grant is playing not once, but twice in Leeds this Saturday. In the afternoon he is doing an instore at Jumbo Records, and then he’ll be at Leeds Met in the evening. If you are in reach of Leeds you really should think about going to one, if not both.
And here’s a Letherette a tune from the self-titled album that I played in my show last night:
For the very first time, my show has a podcast this week. If you heard the show you will have heard me talking to Eric Pulido of Midlake. What you will have heard is the abridged version of the interview, but the full thing is available for you here now, at the bottom of this blog entry.
Midlake have also backed John Grant on his debut solo album (he used to be the singer in The Czars). A funny thing happened the other day while I was listening to his album, Queen Of Denmark, for the first time. I was reading the brochure for the 16th Bradford International Film Festival while listening. Just as I was reading about Alien being on as part of Widescreen Weekend, John Grant was singing “I feel just like Sigourney Weaver, when she had to kill those aliens“. Spooksville..!